Tuesday, May 13, 2008

So we went to Michigan for a memorial service.

No matter how many times it happens it is still a surprise and shock when you get a phone call that someone has passed away. This time was no different. It started Thursday morning with a call from Carrie telling me that her grandfather was in surgery and it didn't look good. Could this be the same grandfather that was telling jokes and making fun of people just this past Christmas?? How could someone that looks and acts so healthy be gone?? I guess for me the first thing that I thought about was how we were going to get back to Michigan immediately? We made quick arrangements and we were off. Two bags, a laptop, and a couple of pillows. We set out at about 10PM and had pretty much smooth sailing the whole way. Carrie made me drive 10 hours... it took 10 hours to get there. Just kidding, Carrie drove at least 6 hours. When I get in a car I sleep. It was nice to go home and spend time with family. The only time you have that much extended family together is for a wedding or a funeral. Unfortunately, this time it was for a funeral. It was great to spend extended time with Carrie's family hearing stories about their grandfather, playing games with all her cousins, and eating KFC.

Here are a few of the highlights:

This is Cheri doing what she does best... making a funny face.


Carrie, is she ready for one of those?


Those are Alex's shoes. I don't have anything to say about them.

I was consoling Alex. He was torn apart. Something about shoes.



So, as you can hopefully tell, this was a great time. I am thankful for getting to know Carries family a little bit better. Oh yeah... we also spent some time with Sarah at her graduation party (shes a psychiatrist) and mine and Carries mom for Mothers Day. As strange as it sounds I am glad that Grandpa Crossman passed on this weekend... he made it possible for Carrie and I to come and see family when some family events were planned.


This guy is my cousin Jake. He is probably one of the cutest kids alive.

I am glad we have a fuel efficient car. I think our total output for gas was around $175 for a total trip of 1300 miles.

4 comments:

Cheri Lynn said...

Thanks for putting my cool my face on there! ha ha. I still can't believe you guys got a new camera without telling me, i feel so... Left behind! My stupid 7.2 mega pixels is nothing compared to yours now. I like your blog. I felt the same way, Grandpa Crossman brought us all closer together in death. It was a sad but great weekend and I will always remember it.

Jesse said...

Cheri,

Don't worry, I added one of Carrie! Yeah your camera is pretty ghetto. I would throw it away! Thanks.

Unknown said...

Yes I believe it's time for babies

Anonymous said...

The ego maniac in me likes the fact that I was mentioned in your blog. The emo in me wants to cut my wrists (horizontally...for attention) because of the ridicule. The Crossman in me welcomes the criticism with open arms, and can't wait for a chance to retaliate.