Friday, May 16, 2008

Gardening and cherries...

Our backyard is like the garden of eden! We have a vegetable garden and two cherry trees that are bursting with cherries.



The cherries are going to be fully ripened in the next couple of days. They are even more red today than yesterday. I can remember when I was a kid Mamaw would be in the backyard on Polk Street high up on a ladder picking cherries for pies and cobblers. Papaw would be at the base shaking it! I think this is where my sister Heidi fell in love with cherries. I hope we can figure out how to make something with all these cherries. If nothing else, I will throw them at the guy that lives behind me... he is kind of a curmudgeon.

Our garden is beginning to sprout! So we know we have done something right. It is amazing the way you can put a seed in the ground and give it water and in a short time it begins bursting through the soil. That is just what happened with our beans.




Our tomatoes are growing very well. I think it is just about time to put something in there to support them. I hope we get a lot of tomatoes... I love them!

I feel like Carrie and I were pretty thoughtful with our garden space. It was a place in our backyard that was for the most part dead space. It is such a small spot that it was pointless to plant grass because it was difficult to mow. So we used it for a garden. Frankly, I think it will be a great space for two people and a garden. I have already blasted 8 rabbits with my taser gun that were in the garden. They are hanging in the basement by their ears. I will let them go when garden season is done with.

Finally, our cactus's and hen's and chicks.



Our cactus's are growing like crazy. We have four of them that are huge. In the phot you see three because the other one is in the basement under the rabbits in case they try to escape. This cactus originated with my moms, moms, mom. So that puts them at about old. When my mom gave us a little piece of one I was like, "that's cute." Now that we know they reproduce like rabbits I am second guessing the gift. They are however great for pests on lockdown.

The hens and chicks came from similar origins. We started with a pot of maybe six and they have gone wild. One of the chicks is easy.




That is the OG cactus. It is astounding to look at the way God can take something small or minimal and multiply it. All we have done with the cactus and H n C is give them water and sunlight. Pretty cool.

I am off to Home Depot. I would have never thought that I would be so into HomeDepot until we bought a house. It is more of a love hate thing!

No comments: