Friday, May 30, 2008

I am a Virginian.

The process of morphing from a Michigander to Virginian took place over several years. Carrie and I were married in June of '04 and moved to Virginia in August of '04. We moved to Virginia having no friends or family... just one another. It was difficult but we were able to make it happen. During the early months of living here we spent a lot of time together. Carrie didn't have a job and usually slept in till about 10:30AM... one may think that would be enjoyable. Not so, people are meant to work and when we don't it is easy to feel useless and depressed. This was the case with Carrie. So, it was a great blessing when Carrie found a job. One of the first things we did here was try to find a community of Christ followers. I guess we looked around for a couple of months before eventually finding Brentwood Church. At Brentwood we were able to make some friends. We lived in an apartment for several almost three years... it was difficult for me to feel at home in an apartment. During the third year of living in the apartment we started thinking about buying a house. This was a major thing for us as it would indicate we are making a longterm commitment to Lynchburg. Eventually, we found a house and plant more substantial roots. At this point Virginia started to feel like home. In fact, it started to feel like when I would go to Michigan to visit that it was just that... a visit. After a few days or so I would want to come back home to Virginia. Don't get me wrong I still like going to Michigan and seeing friends and family, but it certainly does not feel like a vacation. We drive all over the place visiting people... kind of tiring. I much prefer people coming to see us. There is no extended family to see and we have more time with the visitor exclusively. Given the opportunity I would not move back to Michigan... I am a Virginian.

I guess I should add that I will ALWAYS be a Detroit sports fan!

7 comments:

Cheri Lynn said...

Carrie is still a Michigander!

Jesse said...

Whatever!

Carrie said...

I will always be a Michigander. I will always say 'pop' and love Rock n' Rye, and Better Made bbq chips. I will always have a nasal accent. My heart will always be in Michigan, no matter where I live!!!

Jesse said...

Carrie... you can goods and cook with grease. How is that not Southern/Virginian? You are a Virginian.

Unknown said...

Carrie would love Virginia more if we moved there too... I personally do not love Michigan. I made a list about the things I hate about it. But my family is here and that's where my heart is. Although, a piece of it is now in virginia... miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

I need to come see you guys some time! It sucks only seeing you when we both happen to be VISITING Michigan.

Jesse said...

Alex... you are welcome to come and visit any time. We could pick you up at IAD (Washington Dulles Airport) it is cheaper to fly in there. We love visitors!