Friday, May 2, 2008

Finished up the back and prepping for our vegetable garden...

So today I was able to nearly complete the back of the yard. I still need to add about 6 bags of mulch. I've put 16 bags on so far... however, there are still some spots that you can see the soil. I am really pleased with the way it turned out.



After I finished with the back I turned my attention to the vegetable garden. There is a spot on the side of our deck that is a great place to install a garden. This will be our first attempt at growing our own food so we wanted to start small and work our way up. We plan on planting cucumbers, squash, zucchini, spinach, and tomatoes. All but the tomatoes will go in the ground. In an attempt to plant more variety we opted to plant the tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets. The plan is to plant everything on Sunday after church. Our friends Paul and Heika are going to share in the garden. Heika wants Zion to experience planting and working the land so she can see what comes out of the ground. I think it is a great thing to get young children into gardening and generally doing things outside. In fact, I can remember when my Papaw had a garden and he would always be out in the backyard work the soil. The memory has stuck with me ever since I was a child and when we purchased our house a vegetable garden was on the top of my list. The idea of eating food that I have grown makes me happy. It is the way things are supposed to be.




Also, today Carrie planted some flowers. She is beautiful!



Here are some miscellaneous photos. One is my dog Rummy - He is dangerous and will attack you if you say something bad about Carrie, Madi, or I.
I got poison oak or something and it sucks!!!


4 comments:

Cheri Lynn said...

The yard looks awesome! Holy crap it does not even look like the same place Shawn and I seen last year! Great job, your hard work has paid off.

Anonymous said...

How is your arm doing??? I love you shed and the backyard looks GREAT!!!

Jesse said...

Thanks. We worked hard on the yard. In fact, there is still a lot of stuff to be done. It is fun to spend time putting in plants and designing a landscape where it used to be blah.

Jesse said...

My arm is good! It is getting back to normal. However, it is only getting better after going to the doctor and getting a steroid in pill form to get rid of the poison. Prescription costs are crazy! I love the shed. It is large enough for us to keep our stuff but not so big that we start to accumulate stuff we don't need.