Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Rhododendrons - they are difficult.

The Rhododendrons I planted some time ago are having difficulty growing where I planted them. From what I have read it could be that the soil they were in is not drained well enough, I could be watering them too much (unlikely), or they just all around suck. I transplanted two of them tonight to a place that is just at the top of a small slope. I am hoping the slope will encourage the water to drain downhill. A rhodos natural habitat is very rocky and non-clay soil. Where I had them planted was non-rocky soil and mostly clay! I am a jerk. The first plant looks like it may be gone and the second one is starting to show signs just like the first. I am really, really hoping that moving them will bring them back. It gives me a good feeling to see something that looks hopeless and with work and care it comes back and looks great.






Another possible issue is that these two plants were in direct sunlight pretty much all day. Initially I planted 3 rhodos. The third plant is in the shade for a good part of the day and it is really thriving. The spot these plants are in now have ample shade, so hopefully they recover. If not, I am going to throw them in the street. I may burn them. At the very least I will blow them up with dynamite.

1 comment:

YASPOWER said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.