Friday, November 28, 2008

A jourey of five.

This past weekend 4 friends and I set out on a journey that would take 2.25 days and stretch 24 miles. We left Lynchburg on Friday night at about 6:00 PM and ended up near Roanoke. We started out hiking to Dragon's Tooth and setting up camp at about 10:30PM. It was 15 degrees and super windy. My sleeping bag kept me warm... I didn't want to get out the next morning as it was roughly 24.35 degrees or thereabouts. So, we ended up breaking down camp and moving out at about 11:00 AM... we should have probably moved out a little earlier.

Just about to take off North on the AT to go to McAfee's Knob. Day two took us about 12 miles or so. By the end of the day I was feeling good yet excited to rest and sit around a camp fire. We made our way to the shelter and setup camp. Stoves came out, food packets were ripped open, and we ate a much needed meal. It was really nice to rest my feet and legs. I was in bed by 8:30 PM and asleep by 8:40.

This photo was at the summit of McAfees's Knob was taken early on last day of the journey. It was pretty cold up there. In fact, there was some pools of frozen water. Some really great views. We could see from the top where we headed (Tinker Cliffs). We finished the hike at about 5:30 on Sunday evening and frankly by the end I was happy to have finished. We climbed 3500 feet on Sunday over about 8 miles and then desceneded about the same amount over about 2 miles. Most people are happy to go down... I was not. The descent was obscenely steep and not good on my knees. Had I not had my friend Tim to talk to on the way down I would have been a very angry camper... literally. Chatting with Tim helped to keep my mind off how my body was feeling. Thanks Tim! Once we finished the hike we went to Burger King. I at a loaded burger, junior Whopper, large fries, and two hershey pieces. I did not feel good after I ate.

2 comments:

Brian Miller said...

Sounds like an amazing trip! Have hiked the AT around Roanoke quite a bit when younger. Need to get back! Nice pics!

a penny saved is a penny earned said...

You are welcome.