Monday, April 28, 2008

What is onefamilyone.com?

With the rise in gas prices people are going to try and drive less, find other means of travel, carpool, or ride a bike. Personally, I choose to ride a bicycle. My wife and I sold our second car earlier this year in favor on one car and two bicycles. It did take some getting used to as from the age of roughly 16 I had my own vehicle to take me wherever I wanted. The benefits of riding a bicycle are many fold. First, we got rid of the expense of owning a second car... no more gas, oil changes, insurance premium, or personal property taxes. Second, it is great exercise riding a bike. During the first 4 months of riding a bike I lost at least a one clothing size. Third, stress relief. When I have a stressful day at work there is nothing better than hopping on my bike and riding 10 miles home. Sometimes I get home and I didn't think a single thought about work the entire time. In fact, most of the time it is really relaxing... except when some idiot honks at me because they have never seen someone commuting by bike to work.

For me and my family it works having one vehicle. It is certainly not the standard, but for a long time families had a single car for parents and kids. I believe it will take some getting used to for most people but once they do it is nice. Looking back to when we had two cars the times I would use the car other than for work was to go to stores I really didn't need to buy anything from anyways.

So, onefamilyonecar.com is a blog environment that explores the life of one family with one car.

No comments: