Saturday, February 21, 2009

Organic?


What exactly does it mean to be organic? Wikipedia has a good article on what it means to be organic here. I see labels all the time at the grocery store for organic vegetables, fruits, milk, cereals, meats, even popcorn and chips. It has seem to become so mainstream and commercialized now, I find it hard to believe that all these foods actually qualify as "organic." I wonder how much of it is a gimmick...
Last year, Jesse and I had a small garden. This year we are going to have a garden space probably 4 or 5 times the size of it. It's such a cost-saver. It's truly organic. We didn't use any chemical fertilizer or pesticides. The only method of pest-deterrent we used was planting a row of marigolds around the perimeter. It seemed to work really well, and it looked pretty. I'm really looking forward to this coming season of growing cucumbers, zucchini, squash, peppers, green beans, lettuce, and tomatoes (for Jesse).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the whole "organic" thing. That is so cool that you are going to have such a nice size garden!

Unknown said...

Cool can't wait to see it again!

Jesse said...

Personally, I would not eat organs.

lynn d. said...

Maybe you could find some nice cow manure for fertilizer? I am also looking forward to a garden. I think I will only do a couple tomato plants this year and try some of those other things you mentioned.