Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Car rides and the things that I learned to love...

My parents were divorced when I was 8 years old. I can remember vividly the day and space in which the news broke. Thats another story for another time. One of the byproducts of my parents divorce was spending time with my dad on weekends. My dads parenting style was different than my moms. It wasn't better or worse, just different. For example, when we (my sisters) would go over my dads on the weekend I could rent a good war movie. Something like Full Metal Jacket or Platoon... I was between 10 and 12. Those are great movies and for a younger guy like I was they were great! Another staple of weekends with my dad is an appreciation of different music than most kids would be into. We were listening to Nirvana, The Smithereens, and many others. I find myself listening to some of the music we would listen to while we were on our way to be dropped off at my moms house. I have a very vivid memory of sitting in the parking lot of Murrays Auto on Van Born listening to Polly by Nirvana. I think my dad was inside and my sister and I were listening to the music. These are great memories. Sometimes I wish I could go back and be a kid again. One of the things that stuck with me to this day is listening to NPR. My dad listened to NPR and NewsTalk 950 all of the time. You can bet that if I am in the car NPR is on the radio. I know... some people think it is to liberal... frankly, I don't care. Some of the stuff I take with a grain of salt. Other points are relevant and necessary to have a complete picture of our political and economic climate. I love NPR! I love and cherish the memories of riding with my dad and my sister Amie. We were certianly a motley crew.

No comments: